Fred Bavendam is an American with a passion for marine animals and photography. After growing up in Ohio, he attended the University of New Hampshire from which he graduated with majors in art and zoology.
He spent the next few years working as a commercial photographer. At the age of 28, Fred took an introductory scuba course and began diving and taking underwater pictures as a hobby. Over time, the hobby became an obsession until he abandoned commercial photography to devote all his efforts to underwater photography in 1985.
Fred's goal, as he takes each picture, is to capture the essence that makes each animal a unique being and the behaviors that allow it to survive in a hungry ocean.
- National Geographic: Manatees (Sept 84);
Giant Octopus (Mar 91); Cuttlefish (Sept 95);
Crinoids (Dec 96); Frogfish (July 98)
- GEO: Manatees; Giant Octopus; Crinoids; Indonesian Reefs; Coral Bleaching
- Unterwasser: (and UWF); many articles
- Tier Welt ...
- GEO: Manatees; Giant Octopus; Crinoids
- Figaro, Terre Sauvage, Ca'Interesse ...